Monday, February 18, 2013

Creepy Kids' Halloween Costumes, circa 1950


My favorite is holiday is Halloween. Easily. When I was a kid, we had a trunk in the garage where we kept all of our Halloween decorations. Around early September, I started asking my parents about when we could open up the so-called Halloween Chest. Once October rolled around, I would proceed to go crazy with the spider webs, scream mats, kooky skeletons and whatever else I found in there. I even convinced my Dad to construct an animatronic Frankenstein, Witch, Dracula and zip-line Ghost, allowing us to scare children all over the tri-county area. Sure, I got excited about other holidays too. Like other kids, I spent Christmas Eve intermittently waking up every few hours in anticipation of opening presents. Easter was exciting too I suppose. Thanksgiving - well, I never had much of an appetite in those days. Really, nothing came close to the colossal sense of excitement I got from Halloween. The seasonal TV specials on hauntings, witch burnings and urban legends filled me with a zest for life that perplexed everyone I knew.

Unfortunately, I was not born in the 1950s. If I was born in this decade, I could have worn super creepy costumes that would have terrified my adult self. I suppose we all yearn for decades we never actually lived in. This apparently is a common affliction of my generation (see: NY Times article about how no one lives in the "now"). I guess recognizing the problem is the first step towards recovery. Or not.

And now: a collection of photographs from Halloweens of yesteryear that are sure to stick in your subconscious.




Whatever you do, don't look into her eyes.









And this is not ominous. Not one little bit.



Shortly after this photograph was taken, someone died. Probably a mailman or something.


Sweet dreams, y'all.




No comments:

Post a Comment